Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blog 10

The things I’ve learned in class that I have found most interesting is, how we got to watch a movie and write a blog about it. I believe you can learn new things by different forms of media. You just have to know how to go about it. The thematic concepts I have enjoyed are; illusion and reality, historical examples of illusions, and mythology in the Matrix. The allegory of the cave was not too bad. I like how it all incorporates with each other. I just wasn’t too fond of how the reading was written because I had read a passage about it and it was more modernized.

The concepts I did not enjoy learning was everything about Oedipus the King. I believe that the reading and how it was written was too hard. I am in an English class and I feel if I am to pass this class. This play we have read, and may also do on the pass/fail final, will mess everything up for me. The speech in this play is way too un-modernized. I don’t think many students can fully understand this. We should have something more modern so we can try to show our potential and not have to worry about also understanding a text that is too complex.

I would definitely like to do more assignments through movies. I can get more of an understanding of what is wanted when there is a movie right in front of me opposed to an idea, not that ideas are bad. I would think the only problem with writing about a movie is you can’t always remember certain scenes you want to talk about or certain lines the characters say you feel is important to have in the paper. It is harder to go back and watch the whole movie opposed to going to a website where you researched information. I have also enjoyed the examples of good versus bad parts of the essay. My professor had mentioned that you learn more from reading bad essays than good ones, and I have to agree.

I would like to learn a little bit more of how to get a good thesis sentence, even though I have seen examples I am not sure on how to come about getting a better thesis of what I am writing the paper about. I would also like to understand how to break down the jargon of “Oedipus the King”, so that if I do have to do my final based on it, I don’t have to worry that I am going to fail. I do know about the story and have understood what my professor has explained about it… but if I am to quote something from the play I couldn’t do such a thing for I do not understand where it would be.



I feel that I have grasped what it is to summarize, that even in my essay blog I summarized for the most part instead of writing a better essay. I have not practiced the MLA style yet but I feel it is an easy enough concept of how my professor has explained it, that I would be able to achieve a MLA formatted paper. My weaknesses are definitely my introductory paragraphs along with the thesis. I have always had a problem with them and can’t seem to get better with them. Whenever I have to write a paper the only problem I usually have with them, it’s starting them because I have such a problem with the introductory and thesis part of papers. I feel my conclusions are fine but they can definitely improve.

When it comes to blogging versus writing an actual paper, I don’t really mind the difference because as long as I don’t have to hand in a hand written paper. The thing I do like about the blog is it is easier; it helps me be able to get feed back from anyone, instead of trying to send a word document to my professor and just an email going back and forth. The one thing I definitely appreciate about this class, is that most of the work and writing we have to do, is in-class work. I know that if I would have had a lot of bring home, homework I might not have gotten in on time. I think the only good thing about not doing it in class is that you are not as timed and you have more ability to work on each aspect of the assignment. However that point is not so bad because the better thing about it being a blog is that you can revise what you have written previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment