Thursday, March 31, 2011

Blog 6: The Prison-House of Language

I tried to do research on my own and in the library as well, I came to find out that I had no idea what the prison house of language is and neither did the librarian. So I had not known what to do for this short essay. So I will try my best and write about what I think it could mean by breaking it down.

When it comes to the words “Prison-House” and “Language” I would assume it to mean that Language is guarded. You can take that a few different ways. A Prison-House is a place where someone is confined, which I would presume is behind bars. When we add language in the same sentence, to me it would be a good assumption that you are confined by what you say or what is being said.

One way could be that when a person asks for an opinion from a friend or another person about something, the way to guard their language is by what we call ‘sugar coating’. Not telling the other person everything that you honestly think. By doing that you are keeping that person safe in the world of ignorance. Just like the prisoners in the “Allegory of the Cave” how they were kept from the truth to only believe a lie. Another way could be to censor what you say, like in my previous blog about Freedom of Speech; you might be confined from freely speaking your mind. For example by you being a ‘potty-mouth’ or by speaking so freely that you are offensive to another.

In the “Allegory of the Cave” the prisoners were confined in the cave, not knowing what was true. They were unaware of the truth, that was right there behind them. Just like people on earth they walk around being ignorant not knowing what the real truth is when they have a language to communicate with one another. They can use that language to ask people who know the information they are looking for, or even use your language to type into the keyboard to become more aware and gain knowledge about what is going on around them and to find the truth. In a world like this we have to fend for ourselves and search for the truth on our own because by walking around not finding things out you live in a world that is sugar coated. In this day and age we don't have to be in the Prison-House of language, we have the ability to use our language so that we are not safe-guarded that we can find out and know the real truth that lies out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment