Thursday, March 17, 2011

Blog 3: To believe or not to believe...

Things I once believed, that I do not anymore:

1. Birthplace of President Obama - Professor Luke in ENG101/103.
2. A movie called "Some Movie" - Old co-worker finally revealed it was a lie.
3. I was made to believe my dad was in a famous baseball team, because he had a real baseball card in which he was on - My mom finally told me it was a lie after a few days.
4. I never realized that people were different colors until a little girl who was black called me "white" - My mom told then told me about race.
5. I didn't realize "I Love Lucy" was in black and white, until it was pointed out to me - when they were talking about her red hair.
6. That "The Fairly Odd Parents" heads were bigger than their bodies - A conversation with my friend and she mentioned it and I later noticed.
7. That if I swallowed seeds, a tree would grow in my stomach.


How I found out about the things I didn't know to be true:

1. I heard it on the news.
2. Two co-workers without talking amongst themselves started to tell me different scenes and actors in the movie and explaining what it was about, and the way they were talking about it made it seem true.
3. We were cleaning out the attic of his parents apartment and he had showed me the baseball card with his picture on it, and he had a uniform on, so it seemed pretty believable.
4. I grew up not being taught about how people were different colors because it didn't matter and I guess didn't seem important. I didn't think people were different colors, I never paid attention.
5. I never realized there was television that had no color to it - then I went into a diner and saw her hair was red and I didn't think it was.. and come to find out that the show wasn't in color.
6. Didn't pay much attention.
7. When I accidentally swallowed a few seeds, I realized trees never did start growing in my stomach because I never grew THAT tall and I didn't burst.

1 comment:

  1. The incident about people of color is interesting--there is a lot to say as to what is the reality and what is the illusion in the classification we call races. There is not even world-wide agreement on who belongs to what race, so maybe you had the right idea as a child

    ReplyDelete